Ransford Brempong, Director of Training
West coast Training is dedicated to helping both young and old learn aspects of basketball & life through the eyes of Ransford Brempong. A world class athlete, with knowledge and experience to share.
Ransford Brempong's basketball career started in Gr.9 when he was cut from the team. Disappointment of not making the cut, and the desire to prove those that overlooked him wrong, would be his fuel. He would spend countless hours in the gym dedicating to his craft. The hardwork eventually led to a cherished relationship spanning 20+ years between Ransford and a game he fell in love with. After high school he received a full ride scholarship to Western Carolina University where he played Division 1 NCAA Basketball for 5 years. He also had the fortune of representing his country as a member of the Canadian Senior Men’s National Team, where he played in the Olympic Qualifiers in 2008. Ransford's National Team career spanned a total of 8 years under coach Leo Rautins.
Professionally he played in Germany and Holland's top leagues for 6 years where he experienced success. He was twice named to the All-star team in Holland, as well as leading the league in Blocks & Rebounds. He was named Dutch League Defensive Player of The Year, and All-First League by the coaches in the 2006. Most recently, Ransford came out of retirement in Jan. 2018 after being retired for 6 years to play for the St. John's Edge in Newfoundland, Canada.
Ransford is a student of the game who has now transferred the knowledge he gained from his playing career into his training skills. Having played at the highest levels he understands the importance of Dedication, the Attention To Details, and Hardwork needed to get the most out of an athlete. There are no shortcuts! The philosophy of PROCESS OVER PRODUCT is one that is used daily in our training. At West coast Training we understands the mental aspect of sports, as we believe in training athletes to THINK the game and use it as a vehicle to achieve their goals.
Ransford currently resides in North Vancouver, with his wife Felicity and three young children, Quentin, Kya, and Moses. He looks forward to continue to build and add value to the ever growing basketball community.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND ACHIEVEMENTS:
•St. John's Edge, Newfoundland NBLC (2018)
• Seattle Pro Am, All-star Team (2016)
• Gloria Giants, Dusseldorf Germany BBL (2010/2011)
• Hanzvast Capitals, Groningen Holland (2008/2009)
• Bayer Giants, Leverkusen Germany BBL (2007/2008)
• Matrixx Magixx, Nijmegen Holland (2005-2007)
• All-Dutch League 2nd -Team (2006/07)
• Dutch League Defensive Player of The Year (2006/07)
• All-Defensive Team (2006/07)
• All-Defensive Team (2005/06)
• Led the Dutch League for the season in both rebounds (11) and blocks (3) (2006/07)
• All Star Team (2006/07)
• All Star Team (2008/09)
NATIONAL TEAM CAREER:
• Canadian Senior Men's National Team (2006-2008)
• Olympic Qualifiers in Athens, Greece (2008)
• Tournament of the Americas in Puerto Rico (2007)
• Pan-American Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2006)
• World University Games Team in Izmir, Turkey (2005)
• Canadian Young Men’s National Team (2004)
• Competed in tournaments in Germany, Italy & Slovenia (2004)
• Competed in tournament in Mexico City (2001)
• World University Games Team in Beijing (2001)
• Junior National Team (summer of 2000)
• Attended Western Carolina University on full scholarship to play Division 1 NCAA Basketball (2000-2005)
• Captain (4/5 years)
• Broke the school’s shot block record in first season
• Held the Southern Conference All-Time Block Shot record.
• Southern Conference All-Rookie Team
• Attended Thornlea Secondary School in Toronto Canada
• Averaged a triple double during senior season (17 points, 17 rebounds, 10 blocks shots)
• 3 time MVP senior team
• Named to the Toronto Star's Top 5 Basketball Players in Ontario
• Awarded at the Toronto Raptors game by Vince Carter
• Director/Head Skills Trainer for Westcoast Training (2017)
o Provide basketball skill development training & coaching for numerous Academy’s, Camps, Clinics, Team Training, Personal Training clients
• Head Skills Trainer for Saltus Athletics Fall Program (2016)
• Head Skills Trainer for Vancity Basketball Spring Program (2016)
o Program had 40+ athletes ranging from 14-17 yrs old.
• Director/Head Skills Trainer for West Coast SD Training (2015-2016) o Provide basketball skill development training & coaching for numerous Academy’s, Camps, Clinics, Team Training, Personal Training clients
• Head Skill Trainer/Coach for North Vancouver Basketball Academy (2014-2017)
o Academy has 100+ students ranging from ages of 13-17 yrs old.
• Head Coach for Sentinel S.S. Senior Boy Basketball Team (2015-2017)
• Head Skills Trainer for Sentinel High School Basketball Spring Program (2016)
• Head Skills Trainer for SB Battle (2015-2016)
o Personal Training Clients
• Head Skills Trainer/Coach for Hollyburn Country Club (2015-2017)
o Program has 30 athletes ranging from ages of 8-15 yrs old.
• Skills Trainer/Coach for Talented Athlete Provincial Program (2015-2016)
o Program has 80 best grade 8 & 9 boys high school players in BC.
• Head Skills Trainer for AthElite Basketball Fall Prep Program (2015)
• Skills Trainer for Center of Performance Provincial Program (2015)
o Program had 40 best high school basketball players in British Columbia.
• Head Skills Trainer for 3D Basketball Academy Elite Program (2015)
• Head Skills Trainer for Dan Miscisco’s All Star Camp (2013)
• Held Dirk Nowitzki to 13 points in win against Germany (2006)
• Played against the USA's Olympic Team in an exhibition game in Las Vegas (2008)
o Played against Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul to name a few.